Sunday 1 May 2011

Dealing with a dead computer

Few days ago my computer just entered in a sort of a "coma". After I've entered it into the SLEEP MODE I've discovered (about five minutes after) that I cannot take it out and to make it fully functional.
I've tried to RESET it, I've tried to disconnect it from the power source - all to make it to REBOOT and to work properly.
Unfortunately everything I've tried was in vain...!
A friend of mine said to disconnect it from the wall outlet and to keep pressed the POWER BUTTON for about 20 seconds just to drain away any power left in the circuits. I did it but when I've turned it ON I've discovered the same state of "coma"...
So finally I've tried the solution that I've avoided the most: to open the case and to remove the CMOS battery.
For the first time I've took it out for about 5 seconds and after that I have replaced it back. When I've turned ON my computer the result was the same as before: a deep "coma".
I was so pissed off that I was on the edge of throwing my machine (a touchscreen computer with 6 Gb of RAM and a 22" wide screen...!)... But I've offered a "second chance" to the computer so I've opened once again the case and that time I've took the BIOS battery for a longer time - about TWO MINUTES if I recall it correctly...
I've closed the case back (just to screw back the all nine screws took m about THREE MINUTES...!), I've plugged back the power supply and saying a warm "God, have mercy, please...!" I've turned on the machine.
SURPRISE!!!
It rebooted correctly and after it asked me to input some adjustments for the BIOS it started as nothing happened...

So I'm tempted to make a little rule out of it: IF YOUR MACHINE DOESN'T BOOT PROPERLY OR DOESN'T COME OUT FROM THE SLEEP MODE - JUST REMOVE THE BIOS BATTERY FOR FEW TENTS OF SECONDS...

No comments:

Post a Comment